As promised, and to avoid angering the blogging gods ultimately ruining my internet karma, today’s post is inspired by “Faddah Friday” or “Funny Dad Friday”. Started by Brother Jon, or more officially, Jonathan (control your excitement Rutabaga), I am excited to share with you a post in this style. You might even gain some insight as to how I became the way I am, but I doubt it.
My dad is a car maintenance enthusiast. Sometimes I think he is a car mechanic instead of a salesman. He once had the same truck for like fifteen years. That thing had about 500,000 miles on it. He also taught me to drive in that same truck when I was eight, then again when I was fourteen, and once more when I was actually of legal age. He also forgave me that time I backed into the house… eventually. Here a few things I learned from him on the subject:
- Every vehicle is a “truck”. Even these:
- Cars need oil changes and tires need air.
- Egg does not come off of car paint once you let it dry and bake in the sun.
- Three things you should always keep in your car include: some kind of strawberry flavored air freshener, Ice Breakers gum, and a coffee mug.
Speaking of Food and Beverage
My dad is responsible for molding my coffee drinking habits. My first cup of coffee was instant coffee. You can stop gagging. Instant coffee will always be my first love. Being
addicted an advocate of sweets, my dad made his sugar every morning with just the right dash of Instant Folgers, nuked to the perfect temperature in his truck-cup-holder-friendly coffee mug of course. I would continue this java legacy up until college when I discovered Starbucks vanilla lattes. Here are a few of my dad’s thoughts on dining:
- The perfect snack includes Potato chips dipped in ketchup and washed down with a glass of milk. If you give a dad a potato chip… (bonus points for whoever knows the reference).
- Honey Buns are acceptable for any meal.
- Milk does not really expire.
- The sound of chewing ice deteriorates his brain.
On Other Things
- The history channel shall forever remain the most interesting thing on cable, and The Hangover is NOT funny.
- You can never have too many pictures of your family, even if they are all awkwardly forced.
- Sleeping anywhere is more comfortable than sleeping in a bed. Especially the floor.
- A decent CD collection includes Rod Stewart, Eric Clapton, and The Blues Travelers. I attest to this.
- Left-overs also never go bad
Love you Dad.
Hey wait! Don’t leave yet. There is only one more day to vote on my mustache for Movember. Right now, mini long johns is in the lead. If you were rooting for a Jackstache, please keep voting. The photo reveal will be Monday, accompanied by a post at a different but familiar location. Also, I will be out-of-town this weekend visiting my new godchild and participating in the New Orleans Color Run. Be on the look out later next week for posts about that and also another mystery guest post involving make-out sessions and some very special effects. Have a *fly* weekend everyone!
- Faddah Knows Best? (ldsconvertblog.com)
- Manly Grooming Gifts For Dad (bellasugar.com)
- Potato Chip Madness (eatyourtarteout.com)
Posted on November 16, 2012, in Home, Humor and tagged 25tofly, auto maintenance, Becca Cord, blog, Blogging, brother jon, dad, Eric Clapton, faddah friday, Funny, funny dad friday, funny dads, godchild, guest blogging, humor, instant coffee, ketchup potato chips, Movember, Mustache, my dad and cars, new orleans color run, oh dad, Potato chip, Rod Stewart, shit my dad says, Silly, the hangover, trucks, WordPress. Bookmark the permalink. 91 Comments.